Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pride Cycle in Gatsby


I am always one and a half steps behind of late. Probably since....well, Christmas. And there is always something I am forgetting.  My keys.  My composure.  My good sense.  My humility.  Always something.   I just finished reading The Great Gatsby.  That's the book from which my mom got the idea to name me Jordan.  Jordan Baker in the book is a tan tennis player who has a voice like an angel.  I think my mom just liked the name for a girl.  I am not tan nor a tennis player--nor do I have such a voice.

The book is heralded as Fitzgerald's greatest masterpiece.  In short, it is about the disintegration of the American Dream in the 1920s.  Unprecedented prosperity and wealth lead to downfall.  Period.

But, I think it's also about our individual histories.  And also, as F. Scott says,  that we beat on in a boat against the current "borne back ceaselessly into the past."

What?!  Is this true?  I haven't decided yet.  I think it might be.  I think the idea of eternity plays in to this idea.  It sounds depressing but does it have to be so?

I will get back to you.  This post is basically history.


3 comments:

Kurt Knudsen said...

Nice to read your musings again. Hope you get back to us soon!

olivia said...

Yes I love hearing these ruminations! Did F. Scott mean that the current has us borne back ceaselessly or our beating against it that is towards the past?

And eternity? Please get back!

Tasha said...

They are making this book into a movie I think, I wish we could watch it together. I didn't know it was your namesake. And I am always forgetting, well, most things. Its a wonder I haven't left a child somewhere. Please write more. I don't read blogs much anymore, but your words, well, they are like good food. So, just write.