Thursday, August 01, 2013

It Felt Like Fire

*It's August already.  And I'm ready to be here again.  We just got back from a week long stay in the Outer Banks with some dear friends from out West. Our fourth trip this year to 
those beloved Barrier Islands*




The first was in March.  Though Spring in North Carolina is well on its way by March, her ocean is wintery still.

Lucy braved those still cold waters by immersion on March 16, 2013.


Instead of gathering body boards, sand buckets and sunscreen we gathered jackets, ties, and one white towel and of course the ones we love and those that love Lucy.



We paused in prayer in our small room at the Surf Side Hotel in Nag's Head before walking down to the ocean's edge.  It was overcast with a few sprinkles.  And so quiet.  Lucy went down with three wonderful men in her life.  Her father Craig Alan Mangum, his father Carl David Mangum, and my father Kurt W Knudsen.


 With grandfathers grounding themselves against the surf for a witness of Lucile Fae Mangum's commitment to Christ, we watched from soft sand as sea swells swallowed sacred words.  The constant ocean, a perfect place to perform a covenental prayer.

It was the most beautiful baptism I've ever attended.  No paper program or sweet white cake.  No musical number or pictorial montage.  Those these things are good, there was an extraordinary simplicity this March morning that left so much room for thought and faith.


Which was perfect for Lucy.  It is hard for me to put "how she is" in words.  Maybe I'm out of practice.  

There is a marvelous quality in Lucy that I envy.  She doesn't react to life, she absorbs it.  

When I asked her to describe her experience this day she said with a smile, "It was so cold it felt like fire."  She was confirmed and given the vital gift of the Holy Ghost minutes later in a church house up the road.



2 Nephi 31:12  "...He that is baptized in my name, to him will the Father give the Holy Ghost, like unto me; wherefore, follow me, and do the things which ye have seen me do."

 Luke 3:16 “John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:”


10 comments:

Krisanne said...

Jordan, this is beautiful. What a meaningful and symbolic experience for your family.

grammy vicki said...

I am so touched to read of Lucy's beautiful baptism and how it made her feel. What a precious little lady and wonderful parents who have obviously taught her well. You are so blessed.

Tina said...

The picture of Lucy and her father on the shore is so sweet and nice to look at. Those colors!! The grayish-blue and tan with two bodies covered in stark white, a very classic photograph. A treasure I am sure.

Your writing in between each of the photographs is so calm and reverent. Thank you for your words.

olivia said...

I think you put 'how she is' in the best words. "she doesn't react to life, she absorbs it."

AWESOME. Even when out of practice.

So glad we could be there, and so glad you are back here.

Marcela Piazza said...

she is so gorgeous ! congratulations !
nice to have you back ( thanks for answer my email ) although i follow your instagram :)

Marcela

Sarah said...

Beautiful Lucy, beautiful words, and those most beautiful baptism I have ever attended. She is lucky to have such adventurous and accommodating parents.

The Original Mangums said...

What a treasure it was to be in attendance at this very special event. It was truly a spiritual and loving experience for everyone who attended. Life is good and gets better every single day. Moments such as this are the kind that take your breath away.

Kurt Knudsen said...

I wholeheartedly agree with Lucy: "It was so cold, it felt like fire". But your words and photos warms my heart. So happy another generation that belongs to us has accepted the covenants that attend the waters of baptism.
Thanks Jordan for your words and pictures!

Staci L said...

Thank you for sharing! How wonderful that you could gather at the beautiful sea and experience the love of Christ! Feel as if I know you......mostly because I'm good friends with your Aunt Charlotte. :) Hugs! Thank you for your words that whisper peace to my soul

Tasha said...

That gave me goosebumps Jordan. The images and the pictures.

I too would like to do less reacting. And more absorbing.

Give Lucky Lucy our best.